For Employees FAQs
Please select a subject
A visa check allows your employer to make sure that you have the proper visa conditions to work:
- In that job
- In that location
- At that time.
Specifically, a visa check allows your employer to check either:
- Your Australian Citizenship details OR
- Your Australian Visa and any conditions associated with it
If you are:
- Not an Australian Citizen: You have to share your visa information with your employer to ensure that you are only working within your legal limits
- An Australian Citizen: You have to show your proof of citizenship to demonstrate to your employer that you do not have any work restrictions
Since 2013 both employers and employees can be responsible for either:
- Performing work that the conditions of their visa does not support
- Employing people do not comply with the work restrictions on their visa
Check Work Rights is a business that uses technology to simplify the process of applying for and validating a number of employment-related compliance checks through our online application. Our visa check is one of our most popular services.
There is no charge for you (as the employee) to validate your employment visa through our service.
To check your visa, you will have to either:
- Have your passport scanned by your manager or recruiter which automatically shares your visa conditions
- Enter your passport details into our online portal which checks your visa and sends the details to your manager or recruiter
After this first check
- Your employer will get notified when your visa expires or your work conditions change.
Automatic visa checks are performed at different times depending on what type of visa you have and how much longer you have until that visa expires.
Yes. Your employer can check this information manually through The Department of Home Affairs website. Checking it through Check Work Rights is a much easier and quicker method that will provide them with the same result.
No. This information is available to your employer through The Australian Department of Home Affairs website so you do not need to provide consent.