Book a demo

Permanent Protection Visa Subclass 866

Who is eligible for a Permanent Protection Visa?

A permanent Protection visa is granted for a person who is seeking protection in Australia. 

They must demonstrate that there is a real chance they will be seriously harmed in the country they are coming from because of their nationality, religion, race, political opinion, or membership in a certain social group.

What rights to permanent protection visa holders have?

This visa grants permanent residency and allows visa holders to:

  • Stay in Australia indefinitely
  • Work and study in Australia without restrictions
  • Enrol in Medicare and other government services

Can these visa holders travel?

These visa holders can travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted. Afterwards, they will need to apply for a return resident visa. 

However, Protection visa holders are prevented from returning to the country they sought protection from unless prior approval is sought from the Australian Department of Home Affairs.

How can someone prove they have this visa if they do not have a travel document?

Permanent protection visa holders are eligible to obtain an ImmiCard. This is an official, secure immigration credential which contains a photograph and personal details of the holder. 

The ImmiCard also has a unique number linked to biometric and visa details in the Department of Home Affairs systems. Employers can use the ImmiCard to run a visa verification check to obtain their visa details.

What conditions are associated with this visa?

This is the only condition permanent protection visa holders are subject to is condition 8559 which states that they cannot enter the country they are seeking protection from unless the Department o Home Affairs approves the entry in writing.

Disclaimer: The information provided in this article is general only, and not to be taken as Migration Advice. Please be aware that visas and regulations are subject to frequent change. It is advisable to verify the latest information from the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) and or seek specific advice relating to your circumstances from a MARA Registered Migration Agent.